Monday, August 23, 2010

Verifying grocery store receipts- redux

I have mentioned a few times in the past about the importance of verifying charges on receipts, and once again, that was proven to me yesterday.  Giant grocery store had listed an offer for buy (3) Multi Grain Cheerios, get (1) free.  Since I like Cheerios, and I like free (well, heavily discounted prices) I took them up on the offer.

At home, I checked my receipt and noticed that I was charged two different prices for the same box of Cheerios:  $4.49, $4.49 and $3.49.  I thought that was a little odd.  Looking down at the receipt summary, it reflected some bonus card savings, but no subtraction of at least $3.49 from the offer.  What was also odd was the first two listings of Cheerios abbreviated a few of the letters, while the third box didn't.  So, I went back to the customer service counter, showed my receipt, and they refunded the difference.  Of course, what was somewhat appaling was that the lady didn't seem to be bothered by the noticeable price gun error that had occured.  Instead she says "you must have gotten different sizes."  No, I didn't.  Regardless, she refunded the $4.49 and I was happy.

Before leaving the store, to save the effort, check your receipt and make sure you get credit for your savings.

No comments:

Post a Comment