Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Another Tip For Buying Electronics

A reader wrote to me today about the merits of buying used electronics, like iPods, instead of buying them new.  I have used www.unclevic.com to buy a used laser printer in the past with great success.  Since I don't plan on doing any major print productions at my house, I bought a very decent model with current, recommeneded dots per inch (dpi) for under $70.  It was about a half of what it would have been new.  In the case of the Apple store, one can buy refurbished products at steep discounts (they are not the latest models, typically) but still come with a one year warranty.  Not bad!  A used iPod is perfect for the car or wherever else you don't care about it being the latest and greatest.


Next time you are considering an electronics purchase, it's worth checking to see if you can get one used.  But, I would caution against buying used goods from auction sites.  I have had problems with used Smart phones.  Needless to say, it was a nightmare to get my money back (but I did).  So, if you are going to buy used goods, check the dealer's reputability first, as well as the warranty, and carefully read their return policy.  In many cases, once you buy it, there's no return possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment